On 3/20/15 8:52 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
On 3/19/2015 6:47 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmo...@fmp.com> wrote:
In many mail user agents, when you press the "Reply" button the program
will analyze the headers, determine that the post being replied to came
from a list and offer a "Reply to List" option in addition to a simple
reply, which generally goes privately to the original poster.
I'd really like to know which email user agents really do this.

In my experience, none of the ones used by 99+% of the worlds population
actually use do this.

Thunderbird. ('Reply to list' for listservs, 'Reply all' if more than one recipient in a non-list conversation)

Others like Gmail will offer 'reply all' if there's more than one recipient.

And what you get when you hit 'reply' will depend on what the list sets as the reply-to address. In Mailman we have the option of setting it to the list address OR the sender. Some of mine go to sender (typically lists whose participants tend to go far off topic frequently), some go to the list.

A couple of quick rules of thumb I use for responses: If I can answer an original question definitively in one or two lines and it's not likely to spark a long thread, I will top post.

Otherwise, I most often use the trim-and-interleave, or if it makes sense (as in this post), bottom posting. In general, follow the convention most used in the list or conversation in question.