How do I find out what uid:gid the programs are running with?
Would I be better downloading a fresh copy of mailman and doing a reinstall over the broken copy? The initial version was installed back in ubuntu 8.04 days when mailman wasn't a ubuntu package. Since then for Ubuntu they changed some of the default groups for things, like mailing lists.