On 10/18/2017 11:50 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
This is the crux of our disagreement. The outbound message is still the
original author's message, albeit slightly altered by subject prefixing,
content filtering and/or other transformations to conform with list
policies. I don't agree that it is a completely new message. I think it
is still the original message with only technical and formatting changes.

I feel we have reached an impasse and we must agree to disagree.

The difference is wrapping the message preserves the original message's
headers (particularly From:) and makes it the content of another message
which says essentially "here's the message the list received". That
outer message can be From: the list and still be standards compliant.

Agreed.

However, if you are just sending the body of the original message From:
the list, according to RFC 5322 et al, you are saying the list is the
author of that message body. This is not true and is why I say the
message is not compliant with RFC 5322 et al.

I believe we are each entitled to our own opinions.  ;-)

Granted, all things considered, this is what most of us choose to do.
I'm not saying this shouldn't be done. It is something we are forced to
do because certain freemail providers choose to publish DMARC p=reject
policies contrary to the original intent of DMARC, but all I'm saying is
we should not forget that when we do this, we are sending messages that
are not strictly standards compliant.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens as more and more domains adopt DMARC, including those that use p=reject. Especially with some of governmental institutions purportedly being mandated to use DMARC. - IMHO, DMARC is going to eventually become the new norm.

I also wonder what ARC is going to do to this paradigm.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die