On 01/01/2018 11:03 PM, Jim Ratliff wrote:

> When I look in the error log, the most-relevant entry seems to be:
>
> OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system:
> '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/REDACTED_LISTNAME’
>
> In case it’s helpful, here’s the traceback:
>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/scripts/driver", line 117, in
>> run_main
>>     main()
>>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line
>> 110, in main
>>     mlist.Save()
>>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 607,
>> in Save
>>     self.CheckHTMLArchiveDir()
>>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py",
>> line 236, in CheckHTMLArchiveDir
>>     breaklink(pubdir)
>>   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py",
>> line 56, in breaklink
>>     os.unlink(link)

The issue is that every time a list configuration is saved, part of that
process checks whether the list's archives are public or private and if
public it ensures that there is a symlink from archives/public/listname
to archives/private/listname (which is how public archives are accessed)
and if private it attempts to remove such a symlink.

> In the subject line, I say I have this problem "when accessing Mailman admin
> pages from outside of cPanel.” What I mean is that I don’t get this error if
> I go through cPanel » Mailing Lists and access the admin pages through those
> links.

The underlying issue is for the process attempting the unlinking, the
file system containing
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public is mounted read-only.

Presumably this is not the case for the cPanel access you describe nor
for Mailman's normal access to the list's config, or you would be
hitting this error continuously.

Is the web server running on a separate host and accessing Mailman via
NTFS or similar or perhaps running in a jail that is not allowing write
access to /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public?