On 05/15/2018 03:08 AM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
What do I redact or remove in this instance?

- Personal details about the original poster and the event who had not consented to having their email posted to the mailing list;

I would likely have (presuming sufficient motivation):

1)  Get mailman into a state that I can safely modify the archive.
2)  Run a script (likely sed) to REDACT the contents.
sed -i$ticketID 's/phone number/REDACTED/g;s/Eventbright Link/REDACTED/g;#etc'
3)  Restarted Mailman and possibly web server serving the archive.
    (Or otherwise flushed caches.)

I quite like "REDACTED" as it shows that there was something, and that it was removed, but it does not show what that something was.

In the end I removed the phone numbers, her personal address and the Eventbright links from all messages, including some messages from other people where they had re-echoed the Eventbright links as part of their conversation to help other people.

Fair enough.

She wasn't very happy,

I doubt there was much more that you could have done. She's free to be upset. But she shouldn't be upset with you. You did her a favor that I don't think you were strictly compelled to do.

but worse is the person who forwarded it to the mailing list refused to understand what they had really done and believed they had the right to send the post anywhere as they believed it was in the public domain.

*sigh*

I don't know what to say there.

I feel like that's between her and the event owner / organizer.

Just an example of the type of stuff that I may get asked to remove in future.

IMHO that is not unexpected, if not somewhat typical.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die