On 5/19/20 4:16 PM, Kevin Bowen wrote:
> Hello,
> Today I encountered a very weird issue which I'm not sure how to summarize,
> so I'll just go through the sequence of events. This morning a user
> reported that one of their posts to a moderated list seemed to just
> disappear, with no error message, no moderation mail, nothing appearing in
> the moderation queue when they checked in the web UI. The problem was
> reproduceible on multiple attempts. Looking at the logs for the relevant
> times, I saw this in /var/log/mailman/smtp-failure:
>
> May 19 09:55:58 2020 (15631) All recipients refused: {'vice': (550, '5.7.1
> Command rejected')}, msgid: <mailman.XXXX>
> May 19 09:55:58 2020 (15631) delivery to vice failed with code 550: 5.7.1
> Command rejected

What's in the MTA's logs for this?

Note that the above smtp-failure messages seem to be for a notice from
Mailman back to the sender, and not for delivery from the sender to the
list.

> "vice" (with no @domain) is obviously not a valid email address, and it
> wasn't clear where it was coming from, but a clue was that that word
> appeared as the first word of the sender name (not the actual address),
> i.e. in the format:
> "Vice Something Or Other, etc" <addr...@domain.com>
>
> After some trial and error, we eventually figured out that if we massaged
> the sender name into a format that did not include the quote marks (which
> it looks like Thunderbird inserts automatically if the name includes a
> comma), then the mail would go through and hit the moderation queue
> successfully.

Actually, this seems backwards to me. If the address with the comma and
quoted display name seems correct (a comma in a display name MUST be quoted.

If it were not quoted as in

Vice Something Or Other, etc <addr...@domain.com>

it would be two email addresses

Vice Something Or Other

and

etc <addr...@domain.com>

And Mailman would actually pick the first one as the sender which would
result in the address 'Vice'

> This issue appears to affect only this one particular list - other lists
> (managed by the same user, using the same email client) don't seem to have
> the issue. I compared the sender filters and content filters between the
> list and another list that doesn't have the issue, and didn't see any
> relevant-seeming differences between them.
>
> Any ideas what would be causing this?

Maybe the above explains why Mailman would be sending to 'vice' but it
doesn't explain what happened to the original message, or why only one
list is affected.

> Running mailman 2.1.9

Really?