Bernie Cosell writes:

 > I'm trying to set a moderator password for my list and I seem to be
 > doing something wrong: I went into "Passwords" entered the
 > moderator password both times and 'submitted' it and I get
 > "Authorization failed" when I tried to use it.  What did I forget
 > to do?  Do moderators log in on a different login screen than the
 > normal one or something?

As Brian wrote, the moderation password is set from the
admin/<LIST>/passwords page, and you have to be logged in as list
administrator.  In Mailman 2, this *role* is completely separate from
the email address assigned as the mailbox for "owner": it is
identified by having the password, not by any user id.  The same is
true for moderators (there's only one password for moderation, anybody
who knows it can visit the URL, enter the password, and moderate).
Moderators cannot change passwords.

The password that is set for those addresses (on the listinfo/<LIST>
page or options/<LIST> page) as subscribers cannot be used for
administration.

 > Note that I don't need a "moderator" email address [we're preparing
 > for moderators in emergency moderation] but I added one anyway and
 > it didn't help

Note that emergency moderation is a configuration setting, so only
administrators can turn it on (as far as I know, Mark would know for
sure).  Once it is on, moderators can handle the moderation requests.

Steve