On 6/20/20 1:18 PM, howar...@sonic.net wrote:
> I have a list with about 25 members. One of the members on the list gets
> duplicate messages most of the time. And yes, the '.. no duplicate' option is
> checked for the list. My only clue is that sometimes one of the headers in
> replying to a message sent by the list has 'bounce' in it:
>
>     From: tcr-owners
> <tcr-owners-bounces+rblahblah=hotmail....@lists.sonic.net> on behalf of
> Shelley Brown <sblah...@mcn.org>
>
> What is generating the 'bounce'? All email addresses on the list have been
> checked for authenticity, and the option of sending 'bounces' to me (the
> admin) is checked and I don't routinely get any.

All list messages are sent with envelope from
listname-boun...@example.com or in your case the VERPed address
LISTNAME-bounces+RECIPIENT=recip.dom...@example.com. This is so bounces
if any will be returned to that address where they can be automatically
processed by Mailman.

This has nothing to do with your duplication issue.

Duplication can occur in various ways and is not always easy to
diagnose. For example, I sometimes see duplication of mail from
yahoo.com users. This is intermittent in my case and not related to
particular senders or recipients and when it occurs it appears that two
copies of the message get sent by separate yahoo.com servers to my
incoming MTA, and I have never been able to understand why.

In any case, diagnosing duplication requires comparing all the Received:
headers in the two copies to determine where the duplication occurs. I
think it's unlikely that this process will show that the duplication
comes from Mailman, but it is possible. I think it is more likely that
it occurs in your outgoing MTA or further downstream, but you first have
to figure out where it occurs and if it's between Mailman and your MTA
or between your MTA and the first hop recipient MX, your MTA's logs may
have clues. If it's further downstream, there's probably nothing you can
do about it.

One other obvious but often overlooked possibility is the list member
has some message filters set up locally that create the dup.