========================
> After rotation, do the post log messages get written to the prior
> (rotated) log or do they disappear?

Yes, after rotation the post log does get written to post.1

> Does /var/run/mailman/mailman.pid exist and contain the master watcher's
> PID when Mailman is running?

No. /var/run/mailman/ is empty.

> FWIW, I don't try to check if mailman is running in my postrotate
> script. I use
>
> >     postrotate
> >         /usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl reopen >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
> >     endscript

Wonderful! I edited my postrotate the same and the post log got written to on
schedule.

The oddity was that with the check "/var/run/mailman/mailman.pid" -- the
subscribe log was getting written but not the post.

/var/log/mailman/subscribe /var/log/mailman/post {
}

But I can sure live with that mystery and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks very much for your invaluable help Mark (yet again).