On 10/13/20 12:21 PM, Chip Davis wrote:

> There appears to be no combination of options to allow a member of a
> list to see _only_ non-topic-specific postings.

Correct, but as Richard Damon notes, you can define an otherwise unused
(with a regexp that will probably never match) or a special announcement
topic and then users who want only posts which match no other topic can
subscribe to that one and also select Yes for "Do you want to receive
messages that do not match any topic filter".

> If you select one or more topics of interest, you will receive the
> postings under those topics.  You will not receive any _topic-specific_
> postings that do not match your selections.  Furthermore, if you have
> also set "Do you want to receive messages that do not match any topic
> filter?" to 'Yes', you will also receive all messages that are _not_
> associated with a topic.  Otherwise, you will receive _only_ the
> postings associated with your selected topics.  (This appears to
> function as expected.)

Correct.

> However, if you have not selected any topics, you will receive all
> postings, whether topic-specific or not, regardless the setting of "Do
> you want to receive messages that do not match any topic filter?".

Also correct.

> I would like to offer the members of my lists the option of receiving:
>   1. All of the postings to the list [All topic categories selected +
> no-match filter=Yes]

Or just don't select any topics.

>   2. Specific topics and all non-topic postings [At least one topic
> category selected + no-match filter=Yes]
>   3. Specific topics only [At least one topic category selected +
> no-match filter=No]
>   4. Only _non-topic_ postings [No topic categories selected + no-match
> filter=No]
>
> Apparently that is not the heuristic being applied.  If no topic
> categories are selected, the no-match filter setting is ignored (i.e.
> defaults to 'Yes') effectively delivering all listserver traffic to that
> user, and eliminating option 4.  This is "as documented" and
> embarrassingly empirically demonstrated.  :-/

Correct again. If you don't subscribe to any topics, you receive all
posts regardless of topic.

So you have everything but item 4 in the current situation.

> There seems to be no obvious way to say "I want to see only those
> postings that are not topic-specific".

That is correct, but there are ways (see above).

> If I put the list's subject_prefix in as the Topic1 regexp (escaped as
> necessary), would the member be able to select it and specify 'no-match
> filter=No' to receive _only_ the non-topic-specific postings?  (I would
> test this question myself, but see "embarrassingly empirically
> demonstrated", above.)

No, this won't work because the topic matches and recipients are
computed before the subject_prefix is added.

There is also a now quite old branch at
<https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/topics> that implements 4.
The actual implementation is at
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/topics/revision/1007>

Please note that there are no plans to make any changes to MM 2.1 topics
as currently implemented.

An implementation of Mailman 2.1 topics is not in Mailman 3, and
probably won't ever be. The thought for Mailman 3 is to enable 'dynamic
sublists' which would allow users to (un)subscribe to specific threads
on the fly, but no one is currently working on this See
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/mailman-us...@mailman3.org/thread/3K3UHHS3CMR5QE5PWN3RLWIWJC7G27YI/>.