A mailing list that is still in the test phase has stopped processing
subscription requests.

The subscription setting is at a minimum set to "confirm" but at times we have
been using "confirm and approve".

The mailman version is 2.1.33

Initially "no response to subscription requests" seemed to happen with
addresses that had been previously been subscribed but later unsubscribed (as
part of the testing process), but now there is no response to any subscription
request either by mail or via the signup page.

I found a related problem description from 2009 in the archives on the web, but
the bug at that time was fixed, and I suspect that our problem is something
altogether different.

Awaiting further questions and possible advice - thanks in advance!

Ian Zhang