On 4/14/21 2:15 PM, Bader, Robert (Bob) wrote:
> I think I have a situation where someone is sending email to one of my lists
> request address ie
> (lista-reque...@domain.com<mailto:lista-reque...@domain.com>) from an invalid
> email address (maybe spoofing the sending address). Or they may be able to
> trying to subscribe and entering an invalid email address on the wbesite.
>
> So what happens is the list admins gets a bunch of bounces.  What is the best
> way to stop this?  If I add an email to the ban section for a list, will
> mailman drop any email or requests from them if they are spoofing as a sender
> or trying to subscribe?

If you know the address and ban it, that will stop bounces of
confirmation requests from the web subscribe CGI as the 'address is
banned' response is sent back to the web browser. Also, Jon Baron's
advice will help with web subscribes when you don't know what address or
regexp to ban.

However, in the less likely bounces of replies to mail to the
list-request address case, there's not much Mailman can do. Banning
won't help as there will still be an email back to the address saying
it's banned.  Also, any kind of header filtering won't help as that's
only for posts and mail to list-owner.