On 5/17/21 11:41 AM, Jayson Smith wrote:
Hi again,

Hi,

Last night I posted a message about Mailman and/or Sendmail failing to deliver Emails to a particular address with an upper case first letter.

Two of you pointed out that the mail was probably stuck in Sendmail's outgoing queue, and if it wasn't, the Sendmail logs would show what happened to it. Turns out, you were right. Sendmail did not have those messages in its outgoing queue, and the logs didn't show what happened to them…until I suddenly remembered something, and realized I'd
been
making a stupid newbie mistake all along, and I am not a Linux newbie by any means!

It happens.

I'd been using Grep to search logs…and I'd forgotten that Grep searches, by default, are case sensitive! When I took that into account, the nonexistent log entries showing this user's mail going out suddenly started existing, wouldn't you know it!

That's why one of my pet phrases is "trust, but verify". Especially when someone else is asking for help / an additional set of eyes on the problem. Trust that your colleague did the proper thing. But verify it yourself. We all make silly mistakes like this from time to time. Don't beat yourself up.

Turns out what's really happening is that all mail from this list is going into this user's junk folder. I'm going to ask if he has a button/option to declare such mail to not be junk so hopefully this can

be corrected.

That makes perfect sense.

Aside: Don't you just love how you have to identify other people's problems so that you can convince them that you don't have a problem?

Thanks,

You're welcome.

--
Grant. . . .