On 10/15/21 9:30 AM, bob.ba...@cchmc.org wrote:
So my mailman3 environment is up (in docker) and I am testing and learning but
had a question

What do the default styles do?

"Announce only" - sets the option of "allow_list_posts" to "false" and has public
archives enabled. However I created a test list and I sent a post to it (as a user on the list) and it went through. I
was not expecting this  So what does "allow_list_posts" do?

Almost nothing. All it does is set the List-Post: header to NO. See <https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/-/blob/master/src/mailman/handlers/rfc_2369.py#L72>.

The "Announce only" style should probably also set the default_member_moderation action to reject with an appropriate reason, but it doesn't.

"Ordinary discussion" -basically just has public archives enables.

'Discussion  with private archives" of course has private archives enables.

Is there a chart that explains the differences between these styles?

Not really. All there is is <https://docs.mailman3.org/projects/mailman/en/latest/src/mailman/styles/docs/styles.html> which mostly addresses how to implement additional styles.