Howdy,

Not-so-longtime watcher—first time poster.  I’ll start by saying how much that
I appreciate this Mailman resource, as a noob it has proved very valuable for
me.

I inherited the service owner role of Mailman recently and have been impressed
at how well it works.  Have not had any major pings until a few days ago, our
monitoring system alerts if the queue exceeds 400 messages and it spiked to
more than 600.  It appears that a mass mailer produced a large number of
bounces.

One of my co-workers moved some of the messages out of the queue and it rapidly
went down to below 300—and then vacillated over the next few days between
225-260 messages.

It is now below 200 messages.  I have not monitored the queue this closely
before and it has raised some questions.  😊

I’ve looked through the documentation and community posts on the GNU website
and I have not found specific information relating to what the expected mailq
behavior/healthy number of messages is.  I expect that this would vary by the
environment and number of messages sent but am curious as to what would
considered to be a normal/healthy threshold of queued messages.

Are there purge/maintenance commands that can be leveraged for normal
maintenance or in the case above—more of a kill-switch purge?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Happy Friday!

John Lake

Application Security Analyst