I have had a lot of experience with these things. Here are some
observations. I have a list of 4000+ subscribers around the world. I
have SPF and DKIM but not DMARC. (I never say much point in DMARC, and
it does not seem necessary.) Right now every single one of the 4000+
subscribers accepts the mail, most of the time. Occasionally I get
msssages (from Europe) saying that the mail has been blocked because
it is a "high probability of spam" or "looks like spam". This drives
me crazy. These spam-blocking systems are unregulated. They are like
snake oil. They should not be blocking mail without telling the
recipients, and this is what happens.

A few times, Microsoft has started blocking mail to ALL addresses with
domains of outlook, hotmail, msn, or live. Sometimes this was the
result of what you are talking about. I was told to sign up for
various things, including "sender support":
https://sendersupport.olc.protection.outlook.com/snds/
You can get data on what proportion of your mail counts as spam (if
you have enough mail, as we do). When they block mail, you can
complain:
https://support.microsoft.com/supportrequestform/8ad563e3-288e-2a61-8122-3ba03d6b8d75
(the one that works for me) or just
https://support.microsoft.com/supportrequestform/

If you complain, you will get an automatic reply saying that your
problem does not qualify for mitigation and that they are almost
always correct. Then you have to respond to that. After a few rounds
of this, you will get a response from what seems to be a human being,
who will tell you that they are taking your problem very seriously,
yada yada.

The last time this happened, they were completely blocking all make for
over a week, because my IPV4 address (the one they use) was part of a
range of addresses from which spam was being sent. Of course, I have
only one ipv4 address (from a cloud server, Linode). The problem seems
fixed for now, but I am warning new subscribers not to use
Microsoft-controlled addresses.

Of course they won't tell you HOW they decide that something is spam,
as this information would just make it easier for spammers.

(But I don't see what is so bad about spam. You just delete it; it
helps if possible spam goes to a spefific folder, but any system I've
seen makes many mistakes both ways, except spamassassin, which rarely
makes a false positive. The real problem is phishing, and there have
been no randomized control trials to see whether any system can
immunize people against that. I doubt that these spam detectors do it
effectively.)

Some references:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/hotmailoutlook-block-list-s3140-blocks-all-new/699f3a56-406e-4804-97e2-cbe23b9bb01c?page=2

https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/mailman-us...@mailman3.org/thread/CQ6R3WUVVLNOA3UFFCM42GVPKQDC5SPC/

And there are several things like this:
https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

But the list called UCEPROTECT3 (I think) is now, happily, widely
ignored, because it is based on spam coming from a large range of ipv6
addresses on a cloud server. Spamhause does something like this too,
but you can fix it by getting a "proper" ipv6 address that specifies
the range ("/64" at the end).

Some geneneral

Home page: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Founding Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)