On 3/22/22 02:25, Dennis Putnam wrote:
I am still struggling with this.

The first question is did you see https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-users@python.org/message/HW45AWBEKJFZKCPWJYKVSXLFJU3SKZPM/ and is the issue with fetchmail getting the mail from gmail.com, or does fetchmail get the mail and can't deliver it to Mailman.

I tried to add a shell for mailman in /etc/passwd. I am now able to su to mailman but I'm not sure that is the way it is supposed to be. I am doing this so I can manually run 'fetchmail' with the -v option. However, I now get a permissions error when fetchmail tries to create its pid file. It is in /usr/lib/mailman' and runs as user mailman. I am now confused by the permissions of that directory.

drwxr-xr-x. 13 root mailman 4096 Mar 22 05:09 ../mailman

  Is that correct?

No. If that's the directory that contains things like Mailman, lists, archives, etc., group mailman is correct, but it needs to be group writable and setgid, i.e. drwxrwsr-x

When I run perms_check it seems to think so.

It shouldn't.

Is is safe to give group mailman r/w access to that directory? Is that something that changed from previous versions? I'm running 2.1.15-30.

It hasn't changed, it's always been necessary. See https://www.list.org/mailman-install/create-install-dir.html.