On 5/15/22 16:35, Jon Baron wrote:
I'm sure this is a very dumb question, because I have seen several
posts about it, all of which imply that there is some simple solution.

I am trying to use spamassassin by running everything through
/etc/procmail, and I get the following in /var/log/procmail:

"Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
executed as one of the following groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "baron".
Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],"

The dumb question is: "What is the 'mail server'?"

Probably procmail in this case.

I thought it was
sendmail, but I have no idea where "baron" comes from. baron is just a
user on the system. The various IDs for mailman are set to sjdm.org in
the configuration file. I installed it as "root" from a Fedora RPM,
and the name "baron" had no part of that. So far as I can tell,
NOTHING in this system is owned by "baron" except my own account
(which is, however, included in several groups).

And you are probably running the procmail process as yourself. You need to run it as one of the groups mail, postfix, mailman, nobody or daemon