At Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:00:01 +0100 "Thomas F. Holz" <tfh@Seelen.Theater> wrote:

> Hello to the round.
> Unfortunately I could not find a better place for my questions, nor did
> I find any answers within the docs or by Google.
> So here it is. The questions refer to Mailman 2.1.23.
>
> If I know the address of a list member and the address of the mailing
> list, I seem to be allowed to write in the list in his place.
> Is this correct?
>
> It seems to me that this is possible in at least two ways with the lists
> I am responsible for, and I don't like that:
>
> 1)---
> First, I can fake the sender address. If the original sender address and
> mail with the forgery are sent from the same domain, then this is not
> prevented by the MTA (SPF/DKIM check), is it?

Depends on MTA settings.

> With freemailers like gmail, web.de, gmx etc. this doesn't seem so
> impossible to me (i.e. that listmember and bad guy write from the same
> domain).

Some of these mailers might not let someone randomly message with the From:
header.  Most often the spoofers are NOT actually using legit free e-mail
services to send spoofed e-mail, but are instead doing things like connecting
directly to you inbound MTA from their laptop (or from hacked PCs).  In either
case the HELO command and/or the Received: header will identify this and this
cab be checked, either by the inbound MTA or by Mailman (add a spam filter
checking the Received: header for bad IP addresses.

> 2)---
> Second, even more strange to me:
> If I write to the mailing list from a valid address (which is NOT a
> member of the mailing list), and specify a "return-to" in the header
> with a listmember's address, then that gets waved through to my mailing
> list as well. My mailman lists here seem to ignore the "From" address
> completely then.

This is strange.

> In this case, it doesn't even matter which domain the bad guy writes
> from, as long as the return address stands up to the usual checks
> (SPF/DKIM/DMARC).
>
> Have I understood this correctly?
> And if this is as described, how can I prevent this?

You need some spam filtering designed to catch this.

> Background: I have inherited a larger Sendmail server and several dozen
> Mailman lists. Unfortunately, migration to Mailman3 is not an option (at
> least in the foreseeable future). So I have to live with the given - and
> annoy others with stupid questions from time to time. Sorry for that.
>
> In advance with thanks and greetings from Germany,
> Thomas

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services