On 6 Feb 2014, at 9:39, 1611mac wrote:

Background:
I have used used Apple Mail (currently handling 6 imap accounts) pretty much for it's whole existence.

I used it when it was still [NeXTMail](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTMail). What do I win? ;-)

Situation:
I'm evaluating MailMate before I purchase.

Besides using the application, I recommend just reading [the manual](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/) “cover to cover”. It’s not that long, and you’ll get a sense of what’s possible.

Best feature for me in Mail is "Rules" which I use to move mail into sub-folders. This is normally based on "sender".

It’s not an option for everyone, but I prefer to do this sort of thing on the server (so things are arranged when I read on a phone where organization matters even more). So I can’t comment on the “rules” abilities of one over the other.

I frequently have to search for emails based upon words found within the body.

I’d say MailMate wins pretty easily here. You can set up the default search just the way you want, and even configure the search interface to appear with a single key.

1,) If you used Apple Mail in the past, what is the best feature in MailMate that shines above Apple Mail?

Hard to say, but I’ll go with the thing that really got my attention at first: Being able to write in plain text (Markdown), but have the recipient see something more pleasant[^1] while *also* preserving the original text as I wrote it for those who prefer the text alternative.

The one thing I miss from Mail is the ability to read an entire thread in one view. All the messages would be there, clearly separated. A lot of the garbage in top-posted messages would be obscured, and messages would be marked as read automatically in a somewhat predictable way.

2.) What do you consider the best overall feature of MailMate? As a new user of MailMate, what should I be sure not to miss?

Two questions with different answers. :-) Some smaller not-to-miss things:

* Selecting folders with ⌘T and moving a message to a folder with ⌥⌘T * Look at the smart folders under Examples. What you can do is pretty impressive. The Mailing Lists one in particular. I’ll admit I don’t use it though, since it doesn’t help me when reading mail on a phone. * It’ll try to prevent you from talking about an attachment and not sending it. (In fact, I’ll bet it warns me when I send this.) I don’t send many attachments, but I think this is a great idea.

[^1]: With the exception of quoted text, which looks terrible by default. It looks fine to *me*, because MailMate lets you apply a style sheet on the client side. We will hopefully have a way to style outgoing messages one day.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/