On 17 Sep 2016, at 13:54, Robert Brenstein wrote:

Out of 380 messages in the Junk mailbox only 15 have $Junk flag. Most are \Recent or \Recent \Seen. I wonder whether having messages in Junk without $Junk flag might have sth to do with my using POP client to move the messages to junk mailbox on another computer, although I thought that POP does such things locally only.

It's not related to POP unless the emails were later moved into the IMAP account.

Note that although MailMate follows some conventions when handling junk mail (such as marking them automatically `$Junk` when they are moved to the Junk mailbox) then this might not happen when using other email client. They might use less standard keywords or nothing at all.

By default, the Junk mailbox is excluded from most mailboxes including "All Messages", but the Mailboxes pane in the mailbox editor also allows you to use a "None" group method which allows you to do something like this:

I just checked and you are right about "All Messages". I was using the source account instead of all, so I do not need to add additional conditions checking which account the mail was sent to.

All
     Some Mailbox
     None
        Junk

I actually tried that before posting and thought that it did not work because I still saw a ton of junk messages, but as I checked more thoroughly now, those junk messages are not in the Junk mailbox. On the other hand, it seems that this condition is responsible or at least contributes to the spinning pizza issue which I reported separately. After I activated this condition, I see spinning pizza for up to 1 minute.

Ok, you can use the following line in a Terminal window to create a sample report for me (off list):

        sample MailMate 5 -f ~/Desktop/sample_mailmate.txt

(Do it while MailMate is hanging.)

I haven't figured yet why using the source account with the above gives me like 1300 messages in the smart mailbox, whereas using "all messages" and checking whether any recipient is my address for that account gives me 750 messages. I know I get some mail forwarded which is not addressed to me and I get some mail that is using alternative versions of my address, but that should not be so many.

Well, let me know if you track down a missing message or something like that which would make it a debuggable issue.

I must say that while smart mailboxes are fantastic for some stuff, sorting incoming mail into usable groups is definitely more complicated with IMAP

Smart mailboxes are completely unrelated to IMAP. They could just as well be used in a POP3-only email client. You don't need to use smart mailboxes at all. You can create any number of IMAP mailboxes you want within an IMAP account. This works just like if it was local mailboxes in a POP3 email client -- except for the fact that it's mirrored on the server.

or I haven't adjusted by mental processes into the proper frame yet. As I keep using MailMate, the smart mailbox definitions are getting more and more complex and there is more and more co-dependencies added (one smart mailbox depending on content of another smart mailbox which depends on content of other mailboxes and/or smart mailboxes).

Yes, you can do ridiculously complex things with smart mailboxes, but I would certainly recommend to try to keep it as simple as possible.

--
Benny