On 21 Sep 2016, at 18:06, Mark Wadham wrote:

On 21 Sep 2016, at 10:05, Mark Wadham wrote:
2) How can I disable the new inline html preview page when replying to html messages? It seems to make the reply button take several seconds to bring up the editing dialog and I really don't care about sending HTML anyway.

Solved this myself, for others:

Set preview to "never" and and replying/forwarding HTML to "never". Both of these together restore the original speed.

Great minds think alike! I had drafted almost this identical question just a few hours ago, and took one last look at the preferences to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Somehow my perception was more acute this time and I solved it myself also. Question deleted.