On 7 Feb 2017, at 3:34, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

On 6 Feb 2017, at 21:19, Annamarie wrote:

Hi

Is there a way to "tell" MM to open a audio file with QUickTime and not with iTunes which is what it currently does?

Reason: I get my VM sent as an audio file. If it launches iTunes, iTunes always continues playing after the VM is over. Maybe there's a way to control that?

If it's a regular attachment, right-click and use 'open with'. If you want all files of that type opened with QuickTime by default, you can change that via Finder.

If these are mp3 files, iTunes (or is it macOS itself?) has a nasty habit of changing the default back to use iTunes.