I've just recently noticed that scrollbar behaviour in Sierra seems to have changed.

I can no longer see any down/up icons at the top and bottom respectively of vertical scrollbars.

While this applies to all applications, it's a disaster for MailMate.

a) The only way I've found so far to get the vertical scrollbar to appear while I am focussed
   on the body of an email is to hit up-arrow or down-arrow.
b) in a MailMate reply to an HTML message, which triggered the Preview pane, I was unable
   to scroll back up to text I was trying to answer to.
c) I am currently unable to scroll down through the message summary pane - I wanted to select a bunch a messages to delete, but couldn't find a way of moving any further than the
   bottom of a window.

My mouse's scroll wheel seems to have been disabled.

I am also seeing weird scroll wheel behaviour in Terminal.

Are Apple trying to force me to buy a Trackpad?