On 20 Nov 2018, at 21:34, Dave C wrote:

Every couple of weeks I get an announcement from MailMate that my Yahoo account needs the password re-entered. Invariably it asks again after a few seconds, repeatedly until I just tell it to go off-line.

It takes a few days before I can successfully get mail from this account.

The odd thing is that my iPhone’s default mail app continues to happily download mail from this account without nary a complaint.

Where is the problem?

That's a very good question. If you keep an Activity Viewer open (⌥⌘0) then try using “Help ▸ Send Server Logs” just after it starts failing. Maybe I can see something in the logs.