On 2018-11-22 05:47:12 (+0100), Alex Abdo wrote:
I’m wondering if there’s a way to search across lines in the compose view. Specifically, does the search interface have a way of searching for a newline (or carriage return?) character?

You can do the usual ⌘F to bring up the standard fruity search box. I don't now if you can search for things like newlines in there though. On cursory inspection, it seems not.

The reason I’m trying to do this is somewhat arcane. I’ve noticed that MailMate seems to increase the number of line breaks between paragraphs in forwarded or replied-to emails. When I’m inserting responses inline in those messages, the extra spacing can be kind of distracting, and so I was going to explore using a simple search-and-replace to reduce the number of extra line breaks between paragraphs. But that requires being able to search for consecutive line breaks—e.g., “>\n>”.

Is that possible? Or, even better, is there a way of changing the underlying behavior of MailMate adding extra line breaks in forwarded or replied-to emails? Or maybe I’m doing something wrong that’s causing those extra line breaks to appear?

I would just use an external editor from a  bundle.  I use MacVim.

As far as I can tell, MailMate leaves the buffer alone after the external editor gives it back.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer