On 23 Sep 2019, at 9:38, Peter Borsella wrote:

I’m using the PIA (Private Internet Access) tool. And, my problem is indeed related to outbound traffic, with Mailmate telling me that it can’t send messages, leaving them for re-attempts in my Draft folder. I then turn on the VPN, close Mailmate, launch again, the mail goes out without a hitch.

I too use PIA as my VPN (excellent, would recommend). You may need to ask PIA to whitelist your SMTP server; contact their support. (See https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/why-can-t-i-send-email-when-on-the-vpn.)

I use Gmail, and despite PIA having whitelisted the relevant servers, I do occasionally find that email won't go out. I just switch to a different VPN server and try again, and it invariably works. I expect that Google switches things around unpredictably behind the scenes, and PIA can't always keep up. You could try similarly switching servers before asking PIA for help.

As a last resort, you don't need to quit and relaunch Mailmate, by the way (I assume you meant "turn off the VPN" rather than "turn on the VPN"). Quitting the VPN will allow mail to go through if the problem is indeed due to the VPN blocking SMTP traffic.

Shoshanna Green
shoshan...@gmail.com