On 7 Aug 2020, at 17:06, Roger Bohn via mailmate wrote:

Hi everyone,
I want to throw away certain old messages after a specified time. But I want to use tags to set which messages get this treatment. In process terms:

* Message arrives, goes into an assigned mailbox.
* I read it
* I decide it should be kept until some condition or event happens, then thrown away. For now, the event is “the message is more than a month old.”
* I set a tag “DELETE30” on the message.
* The message remains in its regular mailbox.
* After 30 days, the message is automatically deleted from the mailbox.

How can I do this?
It’s easy to create a Smart Mailbox with messages that have tag DELETE30 and “Date Is Not Within Last 30 days” , using Conditions. But Conditions do not create actions, if I understand them. Rules carry out actions, but rules are only executed when a message is processed for other reasons.

Rules are applied to a message when the message is added to the mailbox. So, when a Date condition of a Smart Mailbox becomes true for a message, the Rules are applied to it.

I use this to "expire" messages that are part of public mailing lists like this one. I have a Smart Mailbox that includes all of the source mailboxes I use for mailing lists and a mailbox condition of Date not within the past 30 days, with a rule whose conditions exclude anything I've replied to or which has my domain in the References or In-Reply-To headers, with the action "Delete Permanently."

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)