On 1 Sep 2020, at 21:22, Antonio Leding wrote:

Hello MM community,

Is there any way to batch change the IMAP and\or SMTP password for multiple accounts? If not, then I can submit a feature request — seems like a simple feature add so hopefully Benny and tram see value in adding something like this…

If you mean to set the passwords to distinct accounts to the same thing, this would be a misfeature in my opinion.

The primary mechanism by which email accounts are compromised these days is not password guessing or phishing, it is credential stuffing: trying bulk collections of name+password combinations acquired from the huge number of breached user databases of various services. In the past, password reuse posed a mostly theoretical risk in targeted attacks, but today it has become a component in commoditized bulk account compromise. You can't rely on not being a target, because everyone is a target.

Or perhaps a better plan of attack is to decouple the SMTP account definition from the actual IMAP accounts…in essence the ability to create SMTP account profiles that then can be attached to a given IMAP account. Think of how awesome this would be. Define the SMTP server account once and then use it across several IMAP accounts.

That is a very different and better feature. It has been years since I last suggested it to Benny, and I don't remember how or if he responded. The one downside I can see with it comes from supporting Apple Mail users. Users who don't have a strong understanding of how email works are sometimes confused by its implementation.

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)