Gray selection means that the focus is not in that panel. Tabbing moves the focus. I am using way older version off MM and it behaves the same way - I mean I need to click or tab to the list panel for active selection and actions - so this auto-move of focus must have been introduced at some point and now taken away, either on purpose or by accident.