On 4 Feb 2021, at 16:25, Robert Brenstein wrote:

What the message from OP’s university says is that they are disabling IMAP and SMTP protocols on their Office 365 service. That is an optional access to Office 365, which itself has always been proprietary, Charlie. If there is enough people at the university that do not have mail clients that work natively with Office 365, there might be enough complaints that the service is restored. This is up local politics.

I understand that and I guess that it shouldn't surprise me that even public universities can be co-opted like this. But that doesn't change my opinion that this increases the institution's dependency not only on the service but now on a proprietary protocol, while not providing additional security. We've seen this all before…

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Kronenstr. 27a