On 2021-05-11 at 07:17:25 UTC-0400 (Tue, 11 May 2021 13:17:25 +0200)
Charlie Clark <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

On 11 May 2021, at 9:10, Patrik Fältström via mailmate wrote:

Question, have anyone of you like myself had issues with memory and looked into what might causing it?

It's almost bound to be indexes. There will be indexes for the headers and presumably a full-text one as well. I would not be surprised with a 1:10 relation from index to total mail size, for the text parts (you'll see similar on a DB).

MM's indices are much less efficient, due to their comprehensive coverage and the nature of email. 1:3.2 is the ratio on my primary machine. One reason for that is that MM indexes every email header it ever sees and many headers are very rare, but it is more significant that it maintains both case-preserving and case-squashed indices for body text and the most common headers, doubling the size of the largest index files.

Not sure if you can do anything about that but Benny's probably the only person in a position to know.

Benny has actually made substantial improvements in how MM manages memory over the past few years. It is much better about how much of the full index it loads at startup and while it does tend to load more over time, it doesn't behave as greedily as it used to, preventing OS memory compression and seemingly never using "purgeable" memory. If he has some user-accessible trick for reducing memory usage, he has kept it a secret despite multiple threads here on the issue.

I suspect that the bottom-line summary is that high memory use is the unavoidable price of MailMate's ridiculously fast and flexible searching and smart mailbox functionality. There is no magical way around the fact that big data is big.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire