> On 10 Sep 2015, at 08:23, Brandon Long <bl...@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Robert Mueller <r...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> We don't recommend doing that:
>>
>> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/175365
>>
>> If you are forwarding mail, you'll inevitably forward spam, and you don't
>> want your reputation to take a hit on that.
>>
>> Or, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
>
> Ok, just to confirm, does this mean you don't recommend or recognise SRS
> rewritten MAIL FROM addresses as special in any way?
>
> Does anyone understand SRS?  I thought it was pretty much a dead end.

Seems to me that the reason Google recommend not rewriting the envelope sender
is that your domain may get punished for forwarding spam. The solution,
apparently, would be to use a different domain. And probably a different IP
address, too.

Of course that makes it more likely that your own email is delivered, but less
likely that the forwarded email is delivered: since it won’t benefit from any
positive reputation that your own email has.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex