On 2016-02-27 9:59 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> A domain with a null mx may well originate email but will absolutely not
> receive email - so mail gets trashed at your end as well without staying
> endlessly on your mall queues
>
> You can possibly correlate that mx with the behavior of domains that are
> sending you mail.. Though a domain rather than IP bl may make sense.

Sorry, I realized after I sent that I needed to clarify that what I'm
observing are MTAs attempting to deliver email to addresses at IP of the
A record for the domain, ignoring the presence of its NULL MX.

So the originating MTAs are ignoring the NULL MX and attempting to
deliver to the A hostname, leading me to surmise they are spambots or
zombies.

- mark