We see the same, adding ~150Mbps of POP3 traffic on just one cluster.
It started on 2016-04-18, but took about two weeks to grow, levelling off
as of about 2016-05-01.

Probably a code update broke POP3 UIDL caching or the don't-redownload
decision. I can't imagine it is entirely broken, or we'd see reports of
duplication. Would it help for us to collect login sources or timestamps?
It's not really hurting, but would be nice to fix...or auto-punt to IMAP.

Simon-