>If there is a requirement from MUA developers for an https-based
>non-interactive unsubscribe - and
>researching whether that's the case and what their actual requirements are
>would be the first step - then I'm
>sure the IETF would be open to a standard to include that metadata in an
>email, outside the RFC 2369 set of
>headers.

When you click the spam button in gmail, it often asks whether you
want to unsubscribe as well as mark it as spam.  That seems like
a pretty strong use case for this.

>A new RFC, or an extension of RFC 2369 to add a new List-Something header
>would make the whole idea cleaner
>and more robust than imposing structure on the existing List-Unsubscribe
>process, and wouldn't have much
>significant impact on rollout (as it doesn't change significantly the amount
>of new code needing to be
>deployed at both ends of the protocol to support it).

That was my thought.

>[2] I like the idea of an MUA with a "meh" button that asks list senders to
>send less meh mail, or
>unsubscribe me if they can't manage that.

I doubt there are enough mailers that would interpret that reasoanbly
to be worthwhile.  The ESPs I know don't think they send any meh mail.

R's,
John