On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:33 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> >> I wasn’t sure if there is a specific
> >> reason the preference is called out in the RFC.
>
> We wanted something consistent.
>
> >0 is the lowest preference MX and will therefore be tried first,
> hopefully overriding any other higher preference MXs that may exist.
>
> The RFC specifically says that if you have a null MX, you can't
> have any others.

But that's also part of the logic for specifying the precedence as "0"
(zero). Even if there are others, they will never be considered.

I wonder if some archaic (meaning not RFC 7505 aware) DNS provisioning
systems only allow precedence that >= 1 (instead of allowing non-negative
integer values). We have certainly encountered some that do not support a
'.' value. Over-active and incorrect parsers are a bit of a bane.

It's the old belt + braces approach :-)

--Kurt