On 16-08-29 05:40 PM, Michelle Sullivan wrote:

Don't you just hate these threads that can start arguments on what is an
FP and what is not? :P

You know what we could use more of?

https://www.intra2net.com/en/support/antispam/
https://www.sdsc.edu/~jeff/spam/Blacklists_Compared.html

There isn't much like this any more..

Might be something that we can encourage universities, and/or large organizations with large email volumes who have the capability to check..

Not saying Google should do this ;)

But for example, tag incoming emails somehow with a hash of which RBL's would be triggered, and compare it to their internal spam/ham systems.

Any one else know some hidden gems on the 'net that might not be on the search results of real world results that can be shared around?

Of course, the problem really stems from what Michelle alluded to..
While we can probably all agree on 99% of the content, it is that last 1% that different operators have different opinions on..

The small little WISP in rural Texas might have different opinions on what type of email they think their users want, than the large email provider in Turkey.. different RBL's can serve different purposes..

(oh, and you should see the Clinton/Trump divide on what is spam and what isn't)

We used to do this with some friendly ISP's (course we didn't use direct RBL lookups, we created a caching system) in logging mode to identify UNIQUE and MULTIPLE RBL hits in the early days, but it really should be tied into some form of customer definition as well. (This is junk/not junk) but even then, take the case of the large provider who has a temporary really bad spam outbreak.. was the RBL who listed them wrong when a couple of good messages from the same source where also tagged?

However, I think that data would be useful to help others make informed choices on which RBL's they might like to implement.

RBL's are still one of the most efficient and effective way to reject the worst/most of the current spam outbreaks. (Followed by other simple DNS checks..talking to you 'static.vnpt.vn' and 'broadband.actcorp.in')

But open comparison sources of the accuracy/validity of the data is something that would help everyone. I do suggest it needs to be based on demographics though. Which RBL's are most effective for email servers based on continent they operate might be a great start.

(For instance, lists that identified sources of the CUT-WAIL outbreak for a while could claim to block 80-90-99% + of all attacks, if you happened to be one of those targeted by those attacks, doesn't mean in the long term it is the most accurate RBL for others)

And I am sure that Gmail, or Yahoo, or AOL each would have a different opinion, based on the attackers who prefer targeting them, on which RBL is best (which is probably why they also run their own to some extent or another).

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."