On 16-12-07 07:58 AM, Ned Freed wrote:

/me is going to go with Envelope-To, as it's going to be the easiest to
explain to users "this is from the envelope at SMTP delivery time, not the To:
or Cc: or anywhere else".

FWIW, we chose the closely related X-Envelope-To: for this function many years
ago. (At the time best practice was to use X- prefixes on nonstandard headers.)

If we were doing it today we'd use Envelope-To:.

                                Ned

Probably better directed to the IETF, but based on the comments in that RFC about deprecating X- headers (which I too do not understand why), it looks to specifically point this out to those designing 'new' protocols, and it points out that those protocol designers should maintain a list of 'extensions'..

However, I think you missing something in that RFC..

5.  Does not override existing specifications that legislate the use
       of "X-" for particular application protocols (e.g., the "x-name"
       token in [RFC5545]); this is a matter for the designers of those
       protocols.

So, X headers are still the way to go it seems for SMTP..

PS, we use ..

To preserve the original RCPT TO, presented during SMTP mail transaction, for later local processing.

Why? so that all headers with the same prefix are easily identifiable for removal, if they already exist during the SMTP mail transaction.

eg.. remove all X-MagicMail headers..

Point being, remember that certain headers SHOULD/MAY be removed/replaced by the MTA, so when choosing a header for your purpose, you should remember that aspect of recording data.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."