David Hofstee wrote:
> Now if you're talking about what goes to syslog
Yes, that is indeed what I am talking about. Or more precise: I get some reply from the server. What value is it supposed to represent.

There is no definition in the standards because it's the human readable response being passed to syslog.

> When you say you have seen the different outputs what are you referring to?
Syslog'ing of the error message?
Commercial mta's, PowerMTA and Momentum in this case, generally do not output to syslog... But yes, the error message is saved in a log file and in one case in a JSON format as well (to aid the automatic processing of events). Some examples of logs are:

PowerMTA:
550 5.2.1 The email account that you tried to reach is disabled. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/?p=DisabledUser <https://support.google.com/mail/?p=DisabledUser> abc.def - gsmtp

My preferred (above)

Momentum logfile, single line:
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try\r\n550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or\r\n550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at\r\n550 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser <https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser> abc.def - gsmtp

Seen this, hate it as it is probably the most unreadable (above)... to make it into my preferred it would result in logging of:

550 5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser <https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser> abc.def - gsmtp

Momentum JSON entry (mind you: A '\r\n' is a real newline in JSON. See http://json.org ): "452-4.2.2 The email account that you tried to reach is over quota. Please direct\r\n452-4.2.2 the recipient to\r\n452 4.2.2 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=OverQuotaTemp <https://support.google.com/mail/?p=OverQuotaTemp> abc.def - gsmtp"

I hate this inconsistency before the weekend ;-).

Yours,

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/