Hi,

We have been tracking the numbers on SNDS for a few years. One of the metrics
we monitor is the difference between “RCPT commands” and “Message recipients”.
See also the section “Message Recipients” on the SNDS FAQ page:

"This is the number of recipients on messages actually transmitted by the IP.
With well-behaved mailers, there is often a small difference (a few percent)
between the number of RCPT commands and this number, due to accounts becoming
inactive and other such anomalies."

Previously we rarely detected a large difference between these numbers, and the
difference was accounted for with 5XX errors. But since a few weeks we noticed
that on multiple IPs from different senders the number of “Message recipients”
has suddenly dropped to unexplainable low values. This would suggest a high
rejection rate, but the number of bounces does not match up with the
difference. And I don’t assume that Microsoft is now dropping messages on the
floor in larger quantities. It looks like something has changed in SNDS.

Did anyone else notice a recent change in the “Message recipients” column? Or
better yet, can someone explain how we should interpret this number now?

Thanks,
Maarten Oelering
Postmastery