On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 09:56:43AM +0100, Dan Malm wrote:
> I'm seeing an extreme amount of SMTP authentications (over 600/s) [snip]

I wouldn't characterize what I've seen as "extreme" at any of the
observation points I'm monitoring, but I have seen a moderate number of
repeated attempts to authenticate against a mix of existing/non-existing
accounts, some of which happened slowly and some of which were rapid.

I used the past tense there because my response was to firewall
out (what I believe to be) the relevant ranges from access to
POP(S)/IMAP(S)/submission as applicable to various servers.

---rsk