On 19 February 2018 at 12:24, David Hofstee <opentext.dhofs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Using a return-path in the domain of your customer can be easy when
>>you have a multi-thousands-dollars contract for each customer. But
>>when you have "free" users or "few dollars per year" customers, you
>>can't afford manually helping people to configure their domains so
>>that you can use that in the return-path and then deal with major
>>issues when the domain is "misconfigured" during a send
>
> Why would you need to "manually help" people? SPF and DKIM can
> be automated. Customers only need instructions for 3 DNS records.
> Verification of those settings can be automated.
>
> In MailPlus you can request this SPF/DKIM setting verification page:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3Pxi9-uQ2MtbUdNeDByR3hqcTRHY2NyMk4zUVJscTh2clFr

Are you telling me that none of your customers needed help with that?
Your customers probably have an IQ above average! How many
customer-support people do you have for every 1000 users of the
platform?

My users have issues identifying a button when there is only one
button in the whole page, so we are very dedicated to UX. They don't
even know who/where to go to alter DNS of their own domain, and there
are plenty of providers with their own tool to deal with DNS entries.
We work a lot on helpdesk and for every step you add, even the most
trivial, we will get more requests.

Last time I checked most big freemium ESP let you do this
configuration as an option, but they also let you send without
altering your DNS: maybe they shared my concern.

> It checks if your DNS settings are ok, validate if DMARC settings are not
> too restrictive and will setup SPF/DKIM automatically if they are. Signing
> is done in Java (and not on the mta). No hands needed anymore.

Then maybe you use my opensource Apache jDKIM library? ;-)

Stefano