I think there were (as this was my previous employer) 2 or 3 support crew
per 1000 accounts.

And sure there were questions. But this would only escalate to me if the
technical dept. did not agree to the settings that were prefilled (e.g.
some customers simply demand 2048 bit DKIM). The advantage of this form is
that the link could be forwarded to the people "who did their website" or
"their hosting company". They could implement and verify DKIM/SPF settings
themselves (which was a huge win; most hosting service desks are not that
DKIM/SPF savvy or make tiny mistakes).

We would also let you send without the modifications. But we pushed for
strong authentication. This made the push easier and faster.

Yours,

David

My opinion is mine.