I'm at a conference this week, sending email from very untrustworthy IP space. Of course I'm relaying through my usual servers.

Sending mail to a GSuites mailing list (or do they call them "groups"?) gets 250 accepted but does not actually arrive on the list. I don't get a copy (I'm subscribed to the list) and other subscribers confirm out of band that they don't see my email either (they looked in their spam folders too).

I did a couple of experiments.

A message with the first Received: header as follows does not arrive on a GSuites-hosted mailing list (despite being 250 accepted):

        (Client did not present a certificate)
        (Authenticated sender: philip)
by rincewind.trouble.is (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 3zr7nV5QjfzttZ
        for <redacted>; Tue, 27 Feb 2018 06:19:10 +0000 (UTC)

An identical message with the first Received like this does arrive:

(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))
        (Client did not present a certificate)
        (Authenticated sender: philip)
by rincewind.trouble.is (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 3zr7xw1W8xztth
        for <redacted>; Tue, 27 Feb 2018 06:26:28 +0000 (UTC)

The intermediate relays (between my laptop - twoflower.trouble.is) and the Google machine reporting 250 are identical. IPv4 or IPv6 makes no difference. Content and other headers also substantially identical (modulo timestamps, queue ids and Message-ID). Domain does SPF and DKIM (but not DMARC).

Simply rewriting the `mumble-mumble-dhcp-mumble` and the dodgy origin address with localhost gets the email delivered.

Note that as far as I can tell this is only true for GSuites (and I've only tried one list). Mail to GMail seems to be working fine.

Of course relays do get compromised from time to time, so peeking at the first hop is not a completely crazy thing for GSuites to do. But silently dropping the email after accepting feels a little disproportionate. Perhaps a 451 would be more appropriate?

I have no way of knowing if GSuites is actually looking too closely at my first-hop Received: headers but that's the only theory I can come up with for my emails not arriving on that GSuites list.

Has anyone else seen this? Brandon, can you comment if this is something to beware of?

Thanks.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps