On 7 March 2018 at 13:20, Ken O'Driscoll via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> There are some industries where offline data acquisition is the norm and
> validation is seen as part of the data quality process.

"norm" is not so good as a "valid" reason:
- what's the point of *validation* for these industries?
- what do they get from "cleaning" using a list validation service
that they cannot get by simply sending and analyzing errors?

The first answers I can think about all points to prevent the receiver
MTA to classify you as spammer by hiding your dirty clothes, and this
sounds more dark than light...

1) Most validation service apply a pricing that is higher than what it
will cost to send a real email
2) If their offline acquisition is so bad to require a validation to
avoid spam filters then they are probably extoring the email address
in the process or needs a better way to collect the email address
because if the validation prune stuff, it means they are loosing money
collecting fake data.,. so the cure is not the validation.
3) We could open a big topic about the quality of this validation
services: have you ever tried cleaning a list of your active/working
email addresses? I did and the result was a disaster (working and
engaged emails removed, spamtraps that I added to the list by purpose
left in). So, when they clean, at least with some of the services I
tried, they remove also valid recipients. (e.g: some of them removed
my own @apache.org valid email address as a spamtrap)

As per GDPR if you collect offline data and you will pass this data to
an email validation service then, when you acquire their consent, you
will also have to tell them the email validator service that will
receive their data, then you also have one more data-processor to take
into account into your GDPR diligence... So, don't move the personal
data around to third parties unless this really gives you a real gain.

Sending a confirmation email using the same tool that you will use to
send the communications for which you acquired their consent in the
first place will be enough and will work fine without the need for a
validation service.

Even if you collected the email offline and in bulk, there will be
some moment in future when you will have to send an email to them,
right? So
- if you want the email address (and the "consent") to be confirmed
send a "confirmation request email" and this will also validate the
email.
- If you don't like COI then let your fist email to be the "validation".
- Even if you don't like COI I suggest you to send an email to inform
them their address has been transcripted and give them a fast way to
tell you that they are not the right recipients and you trascripted a
wrong email.

All of them sounds better than a "third party validation", if you work
in the "consent-based" world.

Stefano