> On Mar 7, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Hal Murray <hmur...@megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

>> Some of them do and clearly states how many months they keep a 5xx error
>> before turning the domain into a spamtrap.
>
> Is there a BCP or consensus on how long a list can sit inactive before it
> should be thrown away?

I don't think there's anything particularly solid.

If you're not mailing to a list at least monthly you need to really be aware
of address churn.

But if you're, say, a political organization it's not impossible that your
expected
tempo for some segments might have gaps of maybe three years in it. Sending
*something* more often is a good idea, but I'd be more likely to tell you
"expect
some serious delivery pain when mailing this" than "you have to throw it all
away".

"Best practice for spamtraps is that the reject mail for 12 months before being
reused" would be part of the "expect pain" conversation.

Cheers,
  Steve