On 8 March 2018 at 01:02, Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Sure, we agree. But there are folks who don’t agree with us. Some of those
> folks run spamtrap networks that feel blocklist data. I think it’s important
> to acknowledge that. At one point you could do COI and still get on a
> blocklist because you sent to a spamtrap.

That's why we need to find someone that is able to share real bits on
the issues (who's who).

We can't expect a provider to fix a bad habit (or to publicly explain
there was a bug) if no one talks about it and people keep buying its
services ignoring those issues.

If they feed a blocklist like that and I buy a blocklist that is fed
that way I'd be very disappointed.

If they do that sistematically then they will create a lot of false
positives and blocklist users will start complaining.. so I really
hope/guess we're talking about a bug.

> At one point you could do COI and
> mail to folks who’d only opened an email in the past few weeks and still get
> on a blocklist because you sent to a spamtrap. This affected real senders
> who weren’t spamming.

Just to make this more interesting, I think this may have a slighly
different "story" that may be "right".

2014: I collect the addr...@example.com email address

2015: the example.com domain expires, is bought by the spamtrap
network that starts returning 511 this will become a spamtrap for 365
days.

2017: I decide to send an email to that address for the first time, I
hit the spamtrap. Some network doesn't report back your first hit,
instead they sometimes make opens/clicks, I don't know if they do that
to simulate traffic or for some other reasons.. (hint: I saw
clicks/opens from antivirus/antispam cloud providers IP spaces, but I
don't know the reasons).

2 weeks later I send a second email only to people that opened in the
last month, and addr...@example.com is reported, correctly, as a
spamtrap hit.

So, it was COI, and I was writing only to openers from the last month,
and still I hit a "3 years old repurposed spamtrap".

Let's take into consideration that spamtrap network have to do their
homework to avoid being identified easily, so if they never do
opens/clicks they already put a big flash on them. So I think it is OK
for a spamtrap to open/click or even reply to an email, but it is
important that the email address has been in a "user unknown" state
for at least 1 year (or something similar).

Stefano