> On Mar 7, 2018, at 4:38 PM, Stefano Bagnara <mai...@bago.org> wrote:
>
> On 8 March 2018 at 01:02, Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Sure, we agree. But there are folks who don’t agree with us. Some of those
>> folks run spamtrap networks that feel blocklist data. I think it’s important
>> to acknowledge that. At one point you could do COI and still get on a
>> blocklist because you sent to a spamtrap.
>
> That's why we need to find someone that is able to share real bits on
> the issues (who's who).
>
> We can't expect a provider to fix a bad habit (or to publicly explain
> there was a bug) if no one talks about it and people keep buying its
> services ignoring those issues.

Talking about it on a public mailing list is very different from addressing the
issue. In fact, I’d say public discussions are a last resort. In the cases I’m
aware of, the data was shared with people who could do something about it. Some
of those were the blocklist maintainers who could choose to make changes in
their trap management. Some of those were the blocklist users who could choose
to make changes in their vendor selection.

> If they feed a blocklist like that and I buy a blocklist that is fed
> that way I'd be very disappointed.
>
> If they do that sistematically then they will create a lot of false
> positives and blocklist users will start complaining.. so I really
> hope/guess we're talking about a bug.

Not really a bug, more a deliberate policy choice.

I’m cutting the rest because what you’re saying is a completely different
situation to what I’m talking about. What you’re saying happens with most of
the widely used blocklists. There are a couple, though, that buy an expired
domain and turn it, immediately, into a spamtrap. Addresses that are mailed
daily are opening and clicking mail one week and a spamtrap the next.

Fundamentally, though, if you are concerned about how your vendors are handling
their traps, the right thing to do is contact them and ask how they do things.
Not wait for people to bring it up publicly. The public discussion doesn’t
really work very effectively to get folks to change. They’re often too
defensive to have a constructive conversation, a position that is wholly
reasonable.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741