On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 10:51 AM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> COI is a useful tool but it is not a magic bullet.  People abandon
> their mailboxes and even though it doesn't bounce and nobody
> complains, nobody's reading it either.  Also, companies change.

My favorite story about that is back when I was a Spamcop deputy,
circa 2011. Some guy wrote me and said the report could not possibly
have been valid since all his addresses were COI. I said, okay, great,
and I gave him a little more info about the message. He came back and
told me that he had definitive, ironclad proof that the address owner
had subscribed and purchased something from the company--in 1996.
Plus, he only sent one message per year because he didn't want to
clutter up his customer's inbox. I talked to the reporter, and the
domain had changed hands at least three times and the new owner
bounced everything for six months when he bought it.

It's one piece of information. A sound decision about whether mail is
"good" or not depends on many data points, not just one.

--kelly